Wednesday, May 19, 2010

My Career Goal

In chatting with a very dear friend, this whole career goal thing really came together for me. I was able to distill it into the following:

A private practice as a Behaviorial and Clinical Psychiatrist with a focus in mid-to-late childhood and early teen development. (Or maybe just Psychologist if I decide I can't deal with the math/science it will take to dispense necessary drugs.)

My goal is to see if it's actually possible to instill functioning and permanent life skill, problem solving, and emotionally-balanced coping mechanisms during a life development period where it can become more "ingrained" instead of "habit learned".

Rather like a Life Coach kinda thing (as overhyped and faddish as that particular profession title currently is), but for kids, because my personal hypothesis is that if you can make it happen then, they will grow up to be more successful, more productive, and far less likely to put themselves through the angst and drama we've all been through.

My anthropology class this last term and what I've been dealing with personally is what rooted the goal for me. Mankind has done some truly horrible things over the aeons. That's not something that can be undone by any single Kid Psych Doc, but snowballs do become avalanches and it would be awfully nice to know I had even a tiny hand in actually making the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment